Would you like to send an SMS with Skype on Android? Can’t you find out how to send SMS to cell numbers using the Skype application on your Android device? This is how it can be done!
I have been using Skype to send SMS with the Windows application for a long time. They have made it a little bit complicated sending SMS to cell numbers in the Windows application as well, but it can be done. Recently I installed Skype on my Android device as well, and I at once looked for a way to send SMS using the Skype app on my Android phone. Unfortunately I did not find a way at once, but after digging and trying, I found out how to do it. It is very easy, but it would have been much cooler of Skype to make it even easier. Curious? This is how to send SMS with Skype using your Android device.
Send SMS using Skype on your Android device
If you want your phone number to be shown as the sender of the message, make sure to setup caller ID on Skype.
- Open the Skype application on your Android device.
- Press the Phone in the menu.
- Press the “add number” in the bottom right corner.
- Add the number to which you want to send an SMS. After this you have two solutions:
- Press the “Add to phone book option and give the entry a name.” Once the entry has been added you will get the chance to send an SMS to the number.
- Once the phone number has been written press the “call” button. Cancel the call at once, return to the list of recent calls. Press the number and you will see the chance to send an SMS to the number you just called.
These are the ways in which you can send an SMS to a cell phone number from your Android device. I have used it and it works. It should have been made easier, but for some reason Skype doesn’t give you this option at once.
Have I helped you with these instructions? Are you able to send an SMS with your Android device now? It is very useful, especially considering that the SMS rates using Skype are much cheaper for me than sending an SMS with my normal Hungarian mobile subscription. It might be a little bit complicated, but still only takes me 10 seconds more, but it saves me money every time I send an SMS, so I am still happy about it!
If you have further comments or questions, just the comment field beneath. I would love to have you write a comment if my instructions have helped you send an SMS with your Android device and Skype, so just give me a thumbs up if I have been able to help you!